Are you preparing for a Spongebob-themed party? Well, this Spongebob cake recipe might do the trick!
The best thing about cake is probably eating it. However, the fun does not only have to start there. Making this Spongebob cake is as easy as making a Krabby patty! With that, you can expect making this recipe to already be loads of fun, the same way our yellow sponge enjoys making the famous burger!
Why This Recipe Works/ Why We Like This Recipe
- Easy-Peasy, Lemon-Squeezy.This recipe is easy-peasy that even a beginner would likely be able to pull it off! (On the other hand, while lemons are not part of this recipe, it does use a yellow fruit. So, close enough, we would say!)
- U.N.Do you remember the “F.U.N.” song from that one Spongebob episode? Well, this cake is so fun to do that it will likely have you breaking into that song!
- As you will see in a bit, this Spongebob cake offers many fun surprises. Just like our yellow friend!
What You Will Need
Before we start, let us look at what you will need for this recipe.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated and Powdered Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter
- Egg Whites
- Pineapple Juice
- Vegetable Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Food Coloring
- Sheet Pans
- Parchment Paper
- Flower Nails
- Baking Spatulas
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Wide Straws
How to Make Spongebob Cake Recipe
Do you have everything ready for your Spongebob cake? If so, then let us start making Spongebob!
Step 1. Making the Cake
First, mix all the dry ingredients. Add the butter. Then, the wet ingredients.
Next, line the pans with parchment paper, then place the flower nails. Coat everything with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the batter, and pop everything in the oven.
Step 2. Making the Pineapple Syrup
Put equal parts of pineapple juice and sugar in a pan. After that, heat the pan until the pineapple juice and sugar mix. Of course, do not forget to stir.
Step 3. Setting Up a Good Foundation
Once the cake cools, remove the flower nails. After that, trim both cakes. Then, cut each one into three equal parts.
Next, poke holes for your support on your cake drum, then put a generous amount of frosting on it.
Step 4. Forming the Body
Lay the first layer down, then brush it with a generous amount of pineapple syrup. After that, layer the frosting. Then, add the sprinkles.
Repeat the process until you use all six layers. Finally, insert the straws once you finish.
Step 5. Decorating the Body
Put on the crumb coat, then chill. After that, add another layer of frosting all over, then start forming Spongebob’s shape. Once you are happy with the form, move on to Spongebob’s shirt.
Step 6. The Details
Using cake scraps, leftover brown frosting, and black food coloring, make cake pops in the shape of Spongebob’s shoes. (Use wide straws to help with forming them.) Then, freeze them.
For Spongebob’s appendages, use frosting.
Step 7. Final Touches
Use some fondant and food coloring to make Spongebob’s facial features and other details. After that, put everything into place and make adjustments as needed.
Also, don’t forget to put on his shoes!
Note: As you might have noticed, we skipped making the frosting. That is because any American buttercream frosting will do. Feel free to use your preferred recipe.
Tips and Tricks
- Make lots of frosting!One way to ensure this recipe turns out a success is the frosting. You always want to add a generous amount of frosting when it is needed. With that, it would be better to make too much frosting than too little.
- Add pineapples!As you probably already know, Spongebob lives in a pineapple under the sea. With that, you might want to give the famous lyric a nod by packing on the pineapples on this cake!
- Use a spoon to make Spongebob’s holes.You can use some frosting or fondant to make Spongebob’s holes. However, if you want that 3D effect, you can use a heated spoon to carve holes in the frosting!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Batter Supposed to Be This Thin?
You do not have to worry if you followed the instructions and find yourself with a thin batter. As you might recall, one of the ingredients for the batter is pineapple juice. Now, it is no secret that pineapple juice is pretty thin. With that, the batter should come out pretty thin, as well.
Can I Skip the Pineapple Juice?
Do you not like pineapples? If so, you likely do not want a pineapple-flavored cake too. Well, you do not have to worry. You can skip the pineapple juice.
If you want to skip the pineapple juice, you can use buttercream milk in place of it instead. On the other hand, you can skip making and coating the cake layers with pineapple syrup too.
What Do I Do if Spongebob Keeps Tumbling Down?
First, ensure you do not skip making holes on your cake board and using the straws. To add, you might want to opt for the stiff and sturdy type of straw. However, you might not have skipped any of the support-adding steps, but Spongebob still keeps tumbling down! In that case, you might want to trim your cake until it becomes steady. (For one, you might have to remove a layer.)
How to Make Frosting?
You do not need to worry if you do not know how to make the frosting. Just mix all the ingredients listed in the ingredients list for the American buttercream frosting below.
There you have it! The Spongebob cake recipe for any kids’ (or kid at heart’s) party!
We hope this recipe got to help you prepare for your upcoming party and that you are now ready to chant, “I’m ready! I’m ready!” Like our yellow underwater friend. However, if you need more dishes to serve for the party, you might want to check out our other recipes!
How to Make a Spongebob Cake?Course: RecipesCuisine: Dessert
- Pineapple Batter
3 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
3 Cups of Granulated Sugar
1 tsp. of Salt
2 and a Half Cup of Baking Powder
2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter
1 Cup of Egg Whites
Half a Cup of Buttermilk
1 Cup of Pineapple Juice
A Fraction of a Cup of Vegetable Oil
2 tsp. of Vanilla Extract
- American Buttercream Frosting
6 Sticks of Unsalted Butter
11 Cups of Powdered Sugar
1 tsp. of Salt
A Third of a Cup of Heavy Cream
4 and a Half tsp. of Vanilla Extract
Black, Blue, and Yellow Food Coloring
- Pineapple Syrup
1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
1 Cup of Pineapple Juice
- Pineapple Cake Decors
1 Cup of Sprinkles
Black, Red, and White Fondant
- Mix all the ingredients for the batter, pour it on two sheet pans, and pop everything in the oven.
- Make the pineapple syrup by mixing and heating the pineapple juice and sugar together.
- Trim and cut the cake layers.
- Set the cake layers on the cake board along with the pineapple syrup, frosting, and sprinkles.
- Put on the crumb coat and start forming the cake with the frosting.
- Make the shoes and start forming the extra details.
- Make the finer details and make adjustments as needed.